extraordinary ability visa: Nature of the Travel Permit
The extraordinary ability visa or O1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows foreign nationals with extraordinary ability to work in the United States.
The extraordinary ability visa applicant referred to in this visa category must be a recipient of awards and recognitions in the national and international level.
Qualified applicants are those professional performers or artists with extraordinary ability in the following category:
- the sciences, education, business or athletics;
- the ability in the field of arts; and
- the ability of excellent performances in motion picture or TV industry.
Identifying eligibles for O visa
- The extraordinary ability visa applicant or O-1 visa applicant. He must be a performing artist who must show proof of his extraordinary achievements like:
- membership in an organization which is known for its outstanding achievements;
- an awardee of a one-time achievement award like the Nobel Prize, or Pulitzer Prize and other major awards,
- accomplishments must be featured in professional or major trade publications, newspapers, magazines or other forms of media publications of national and international coverage;
- have made significant contributions in his area of expertise;
- an employee of an organization which is highly recognized in the international community; and
- a high earning performer or artist for shows or performance rendered.
- The O-2 visa applicant. When talking about performers and artists in the movie and TV industries, it follows that all staff and employees that constitute the entire support of the O-1 visa are included. They include the directors, make-up artists, set-designers, cheoreographers, costume designers, make-up artists, and other performers who must come along to perform his part for the success or to complete the performance or show.
extraordinary ability visa applicant in movies and TV industries
The extraordinary visa applicant for movies and TV industries must have performed in a lead or starring role and must have earned titles, ratings, box office receipts and achievement awards from distinguished national and international award giving bodies like the Academy Awards, Emmy Awards and Director’s Guild Awards.
extraordinary ability visa: Privileges
The extraordinary ability visa holder is authorized to stay in the U.S for a period of three years, which may be extended every year thereafter, or until the contract or activity is duly performed. O-1 visa is a “dual intent” visa that applicants may apply for Legal Permanent Residency Status without the requirement of a Labor Certification Application. In addition, the extraordinary ability visa holder can bring along his spouse and children below 21 years of age. The dependents have to apply for O-3 visa for this purpose and can stay with the applicant in the U.S. for the duration of the O-1 visa. They can move around in and out of the United States, however, the dependents can study in the U.S, but are not allowed to work during the lifetime of the visa.
extraordinary ability visa help: Find USA Citizenships
USA Citizenships is here to help extraordinary ability visa applicants to obtain approval of their visa application. We have a team of qualified immigration experts and immigration lawyers who can answer to all your immigration questions. You can also talk to our immigration lawyers personally at (888) 940-0044 or visit our website at www.usacitizenships.com.