Family Visa: Application Procedure

Acquiring Family visa

Family VisaFor those who have relatives outside the United States, the convenient way to come to the United States is to immigrate through an immediate relative or immediatefamily member. The family visa requires the involvement of an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. Only certain family members are eligible, which includes spouses, unmarried children below 21 years of age, and parents of the U.S. citizen petitioners, age 21 or older.



U.S. Family-based Green Card

To get a family visa, a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident must sponsor a relative foreign national. Acquiring a family-based, Green Card normally follows a different procedure. The Green Card applicant must first file an “Immigrant Petition” (I-130) filed with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Immediate relatives are given special immigration priority; they have visa number ready available because there are an unlimited number of visas for this category. Once the Immigrant Petition is approved, the Green Card applicant can now proceed to apply for Green Card.

Steps to follow to apply for a family visa

First Step. Submission and approval of the Application.The USCIS must approve the immigrant visa petition. The US citizen relative completes Form I-130 in behalf of the foreign relative with proof of the existing relationship and other required documentation in order to begin the family based immigration process.

Second Step. Availability of the Immigrant visa number. Normally, for immediate relative family visa, the visa number is readily available.

Third step. Adjustment of status for foreign relative living in the United States. The foreign relative must apply to change his or her status to a Lawful Permanent Resident status after a visa number becomes available. This is one way to secure an immigrant visa number. However, for relatives living outside the US, the foreign relative must complete the process by going to the U.S. Consulate office.

Petitions for other relatives

For those who do not qualify for a family visa as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, he may qualify to a “family preference category.” Eligible relatives of a US citizen include the unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21; unmarried sons and daughters (over 21 years) of green-card holder; married child or children of a US citizen; and brothers and sisters of a U.S. citizen petitioner over 21 of age or the Fiancé(e) of a US Citizen.

Conditions for ineligibilty or inadmisssibility for a family visa application

A Green Card applicant will be declared ineligible if he is found guilty of the following: Drug trafficking; Having HIV/AIDS; Overstaying a previous visa; Practicing polygamy; Advocating the overthrow of the government; and Submitting fraudulent documents.

family visa help

For your immigration problems and visa processing contact USA Citizenships. They help process all kinds of U.S. visa and related services. USA Citizenships office is located at Los Angeles, California. However, it has links in all parts of the United States. Contact USA citizenships at or talk to our Immigration Lawyers at (888) 940-0044.