Knowing Some Types of Family-Based Visa

Family visas: Purpose

There are several Family visas available for those who want to be together with their family members, fiance, or fiancee. Each type of visa is governed by a separate law and enacted for a specific purpose. All Family visas have almost the same purpose, to give a chance to the family to be reunited and lived as one family in the United States. The US citizen or permanent resident who files the petition in behalf of the foreign family member is called the “Sponsor” while the person who is the recipient of the petition is called the “Beneficiary.” For those spouses who made it successfully and were granted visa, Congratulations! However, not all had a successful story.

To avoid this situation, find help with USA citizenships for expert immigration advice from our Immigration Attorneys.

Family visas: Types and purpose

K1 Visa

K1 visa or a Fiancé visa is a nonimmigrant visa, which only works for couples where one is a US citizen while the other is a foreign national with the intention to get married in the United States. The child/children of the beneficiary may join the spouse by way of K2 visa.

K3 visa

K3 visa or a spousal visa is a nonimmigrant visa intended for a foreign national married to a U.S citizen. An approved K3 visa gives opportunity to the holder a chance to become a Legal Permanent Resident in about 12 months. Likewise, the child/children of the beneficiary may accompany the beneficiary through K4 visa.

IR1 visa

IR1 visa or “Immediate Relative visa” is an immigrant visa intended for couple married for more than 2 years. The foreign spouse can work and live indefinitely in the US from the moment the foreign spouse entered the United States.

CR1 visa

CR1 visa or “Conditional Resident visa” is an immigrant visa for couple married in less than 2 years. Like K3 visa, IR1 and CR1 visas are for married couple where one spouse is a US citizen while the other spouse is living abroad. However, CR1 visa requires “Green Card” allowing the foreign spouse to work and remain indefinitely in the US. The U.S. Citizen spouse must file a petition for the lifting of the conditional status within 90 days of the 2-year anniversary from the time of entry of the foreign spouse to the United States.

Family visas help: USA Citizenships

Almost all types of Family visas are the most common way to immigrate to the United States. This is also the best way to give chance to US citizen spouses and foreign-based spouses to be together within a shorter period. For more information, log on to or call (888) 940-0044 for your immigration problems.