H-2B Visa Program

h1 b visa

There is another work visa program available to foreign skilled workers seeking to work and live in the United States. The H2B Visa program is a short-term work visa or work permit. The purpose of the visa program is to fill the seasonal job needs of US employers.

There are specific jobs that the H2B visa program is applicable. These include the following:

  • Hospitality workers in Hotels / Motels
  • Chefs
  • Personnel for Resorts and Theme Parks such as for Ticket Sales
  • Cruise ships cabin personnel
  • Construction workers
  • Maintenance and, Janitorial workers in Ski Resorts
  • Landscaping personnel for Golf Courses and Water parks
  • Security personnel
  • Ride Operators
  • Warehouse and Retail Store personnel

The H2B visa program process follows the steps given below:

  1. The employee must secure a specific job offer from a US employer to perform a temporary job in the United States
  2. The employee must meet the minimum qualifications for the job that the US employer has offered
  3. The US employer needs to file an H2B visa application with the US Immigration Bureau
  4. The employee must signify the intention to return to the country of origin at the completion of the job and the expiry of the H2B visa

In order to qualify for an H2B visa under this program, the following need to be fulfilled:

  1. The employment is for foreign non-professionals not in the agricultural field of commerce
  2. The employment is temporary in nature, meaning it is a recurring seasonal and intermittent need during peak times or for a one time only

The duration of the H2B visa is for the duration of the employer’s need for temporary workers that can be filled with foreign skilled employees. This can be for a term of one year but extendible to three years upon showing that the need for the employee continues to prevent dislocation of business.

Another benefit of this visa is that the spouse of the H2B visa holder or an unmarried child under the age of 21 can accompany the H2B visa holder under an H-4 visa. The dependent can remain in the United States for the term of the stay of the visa holder. The H-4 visa holder is not allowed to be gainfully employed in the United States.

For assistance about the H-2B visa, please contact the immigration law offices of