Exchange Visitor Visa: The Visa for Schools, Universities, and other Institutions

J1 visa: Purpose of the travel permit

j1 visaThe J1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa designed for the benefit of foreign nationals who wish to enter the United States as participant of an exchange program for sharing knowledge and skills in education, arts, and sciences. The program is intended specifically for scholars, students (in all academic levels), teachers, trainees, researchers, and those under cultural and medical missions, internship or employment programs, university exchange visitor’s programs, au-pair programs and other allied programs designed for such individuals by the U.S. Department of State through its Bureau of Educational Cultural Affairs.

J1 visa: Qualifications

In addition to other qualifications under the program, the J1 visa applicant must meet specific requirements as an Exchange Visitor of any of the programs. The applicant is required to be:

  • Exceptionally good in the English language. Participants must possess sufficient know-how of the English language; and
  • Covered by Medical Insurance Policy. J1 visa holders and J2 dependents (spouses and minor unmarried children under 21 years old) must have medical insurance coverage provided under the program regulations. Non-compliance with this requirement is a ground for the termination of the program.

J1 visa: Responsibilities of Sponsors

Sponsors have the responsibility to orient participants (J1 visa) and his dependents (J2 visa) about the place or state where the participant is expected to spend his time as an exchange visitor. They are also required to monitor the progress of visitors consistent with the program as appeared in Form DS-2019 and to see to it that the participant is safe. It is also expected from sponsors that they have to maintain a direct contact and updated information on file about the participant(s).

J1 visa: Where and How to file the Application

J1 visa applicants are required to apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Office of his home country. As part of the visa application process, an interview is required for all J1 visa applicants from age 14 to 79 with the exception of individuals age 13 and younger, and those 80 years and older, unless requested by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Officer.

J1 visa: Required Documentations

When applying for J1 visa, each visa applicant must submit to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate the required forms and documentations:

  • DS 2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status. A SEVIS-generated Form provided to applicants by the program sponsor after your information is entered in the SEVIS system. All exchange visitors, including their spouses and dependents must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS);
  • Form DS-7002, Training or Internship Placement Plan. This provides a comprehensive description of the program defining how and what to achieve during the internship program;
  • Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application. This would indicate important information about the applicant, the duration of the program and purpose of the travel;
  • A valid passport valid for travel to the U.S. and with a validity date of at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the U.S.; and
  • One (1) 2×2 photograph.


J1 visa help: Look for USA Citizenships

USA Citizenships has been instrumental in the success of numbers of Exchange Visitors visa application for years in the immigration business and profession. Our immigration attorneys assist U.S. sponsors in filing petititons and help in processing J1 visa applications. USA Citizenships immigration attorneys are also available to discuss your immigration questions at anytime. Do not hesitate to call us at (888) 940-0044 or visit our website at