Do You Intend To Work In The U.S? Here’s how….

nonimmigrant visaDo You Intend To Work In The U.S? Here’s how….

Immigrant and nonimmigrant visa: Compared

There are two ways in acquiring United States visa. They are the immigrant and nonimmigrant visa. An immigrant visa is issued to foreign nationals who intend to work and live permanently in the US while a nonimmigrant visa is issued to individuals who wish to enter to the US on a temporary basis.


nonimmigrant visa: Purpose

Generally, nonimmigrant visa are issued for purposes of tourism, business, and medical treatment or for specific working engagement. The foreign national must apply directly to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Office in the applicant’s home country. In addition to your visa application, you have to attach documents that will support your visa application like passport, photographs, and your visa application fee. However, if the foreign national is already living in the US, he can file for “Adjustment of Status” and apply for “Legal Permanent Residence Status” with the USCIS.

Employment-based nonimmigrant visa

Employment-based visa may be classified as immigrant or nonimmigrant visa depending on the purpose and the period required by an applicant to complete the work in the U.S. The following are clasiified under nonimmigrant work visa:

E-1 Visa (Treaty Traders)

This is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a national of a treaty country, to come to the U.S. and engage in international trade. The investment should be “substantial” as defined by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. E-1 visa is also available to certain employees of such business enterprise. A treaty country is one that has an existing agreement for friendship, commerce, and navigation with the United States.

E-2 Visa (Treaty Investors)

This is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a national of a treaty country to invest a substantial amount of capital to contribute to the U.S. economy. Certain capital is required for investment, which may be $1,000,000 for high investment areas or $500,000 in a “targeted employment” area.

H-1B Visa (Specialty Occupation or Entertainers)

This nonimmigrant visa category applies to individuals who are engaged in specialty occupation requiring special skills, merits and abilities, or engages in services of exceptional performance and ability whether it is technical or for research and development projects, or services related to arts, theater, and fashion.

L-1 Visa (Company Transfer)

This is a nonimmigrant visa intended for short duration, generally for three years. L-1 visa is made available to executive or managerial employees of a certain business with office in both the United States and abroad. The visa allows such foreign worker to relocate to its U.S. office, provided the worker must have work at in the company abroad for at least one year prior to being granted L-1 status. The US office may be the parent company, subsidiary, or a branch office of the foreign company.

O-1 Visa (Alien of Extraordinary Ability)

This is a nonimmigrant visa intended for individuals with extraordinary ability in the field of science, arts, education, business, or athletics, or those who had demonstrated extraordinary achievements in theatre, stage or television, which gained international recognition.

P-Class Visas (P1, P2, P3, P4)

The P-class visa allows entertainers, artists, and athletes to come to the U.S. to join and participate in events, competitions, or performances as an individual or as part of a team. The P4 is a derivative visa of P1, P2, or P3 that allow family members to come along with P1, P2, P3 visa holders.


This is a nonimmigrant visa through the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created for special economic and trade relationships between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.Mexican and Canadian professionals may come and work for a US employer under the TN visa. To be eligible, the Mexican and Canadian professionals must show proof of professional qualifications like university certificates, licenses, and work experiences.

For your visa help: Look for USA Citizenships

It would be for your own benefit if you have your TN visa application reviewed and evaluated by a competent immigration lawyer. USA Citizenships is willing to help you in assessing your visa application, requirements, and appropriateness of your qualifications. Talk to our immigration lawyer for the details, call (888) 940-0044, or log on to for information.