Work Permits

Work Permits

In order to enter US, you need to have permit in the form of visa which is issued under the US Government’s Immigration laws and regulations. This visa is not just an ordinary piece of paper but it authorizes the person having it to enter the USA, for a specific reason and for a specified period of time.

The visa is classified into two categories:

  1. This is the most common type of visa issued by the Government.>This visa is for someone who intends to come to the USA “temporarily” and for a specific purpose.
  2. This visa is issued to persons looking for relocating themselves in USA in order to live and work permanently over there.

Work Permits are often granted by the US Immigration office. Every year US Immigration work programs approves a good number of visa applications for trained professionals. An employer having pre approved legal permission to hire a suitable foreign worker as an employee under his company, needs to apply for the visa as a sponsor of the applicant to be hired. Following are the types of Work Permits in the form Visa granted by US Government:

H1B visa program – This is the primary work visa allotted by the US Government to foreign nationals who wanted to enter US for the purpose of working as professionals. This is the most important visa which must be obtained by any professional to legally work in US. This is the most popular visa as it is a ‘dual intent’ visa which means that you can apply for a Green Card (Legal Permanent Residency).

H2B visa program – This visa is meant for those persons who are looking for a temporary stay in US and will move out of US after their work is completed. This visa is suitable for professionals working in seasonal and fun jobs.Hospitality workers, Hotels / Motels, Chefs, Resorts and Theme Parks, Ticket Sales, Cruise ships, Construction workers, Maintenance, Janitorial, Ski Resorts, Landscaping, Golf Courses, Water parks, Security, Ride Operators, Restaurants and bars, Warehouse, Retail Store workers etc are all types of H2B visa jobs.

E3 visa program – This visa is specially designed for Australian workers, who will be employed in a “specialty occupation” in the United States. The E-3 visa must be sponsored by a US employer. The applicant of this visa requires having a degree (or equivalent experience) in the field of endeavor so he is qualified for the position which is at the professional level. An Australian citizen in a specialty occupation must meet the general academic and occupational requirements for the position.

TN Professional NAFTA Visa line-height: 115%;”>program – The full form of NAFTA stands for North American Free Trade Agreement and is a trade agreement between Canada, United States and Mexico. This visa allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the United States. The applicant must be classified as the NAFTA professional or an employee discharging services classified as professional.

J1 visa program – This visa is allotted in an exchange visitor program to the students who want to have a practical training which is not available in their home country. It is necessary that the training is directly related to the academic program they are studying.